Creamy Cucumber Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 440mg
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- About 2 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 pound White Rose or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (4 oz.)
- 1 cup thickly sliced celery (about 2 stalks; 5 oz.)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1 green onion, rinsed, ends trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 English cucumber (about 12 oz.), rinsed, or regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
- About 3/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1. Combine 2 1/2 cups broth, potatoes, onion, celery, parsley, green onion, thyme, and butter in a 5- to 6-quart pan; cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes mash easily with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, thinly slice a fourth of the cucumber; wrap airtight and chill. Coarsely chop remaining.
- 3. Working in batches, whirl potato mixture and chopped cucumber in a blender until smooth; pour into a large bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup crème fraîche, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce. Cover and chill until cold, at least 1 hour, or up to 1 day.
- 4. Thin soup with more broth. If desired, add more salt and hot sauce to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sliced cucumber and more crème fraîche.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This