Really good. Love the texture of the crepes.
Creamy Crepes Poblano
Using cornmeal crepes instead of corn tortillas adds an international fusion to this enchilada casserole.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 filled crepes)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 390
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 39.8g
- Carbohydrate: 35.1g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 128mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 567mg
- Calcium: 268mg
- 1 pound poblano chiles (about 6 chiles)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 ear)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 Cornmeal Crepes
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup diced tomato
- Preheat broiler.
- Place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 10 minutes or until blackened, turning occasionally. Place in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; chop chiles, and set aside.
- Bring water, thinly sliced garlic, and bay leaves to a boil in a saucepan; add chicken. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken; cool. Strain broth through colander into a bowl; discard solids. Reserve 1 cup broth. Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl; gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add oregano, cumin, and minced garlic, and sauté1 minute. Add flour mixture and reserved 1 cup broth, and cook until thick (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove 1 cup sauce; set aside. Add 1/2 cup chiles and corn to remaining sauce in pan; cook 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Combine chicken, reserved 1 cup sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup chiles in a bowl.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of each crepe; roll up. Place crepes, seam sides down, in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and spoon cheese sauce over crepes. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with tomato.
- Note: Two (4.5-ounce) cans of green chiles, drained and chopped may be substituted for poblano chiles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note