- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp., plus 1 tsp. flour
- 1 (8 oz.) bottle clam juice
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 large potato (12 oz.), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 (6.5 oz.) cans chopped clams, drained
- Dash hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- calories 177
- fat 9 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 8 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 26 mg
- sodium 496 mg
How to Make It
Combine bacon and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until fat is drawn out of bacon, 4 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour in clam juice and bring to a boil, stirring well.
Add milk, potato, clams and hot sauce. Season with salt. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Ladle chowder into cups or bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.