I read all the reviews that raved about this dish, but didn't quite believe it could be that good. I ate way too much of it because it was so delicious, I kept wanting another bite! I used farfalle, since that's what I had on-hand. The only other deviation I made was to use dried parsley, rather than fresh. As others said, using three pans was a lot, but I ended up doing it because I didn't feel organized enough to do it another way. I'm sure with practice I'll get faster making this recipe, because I'm sure I'll make it again. Further thoughts after having made this a couple more times: I added Brussels sprouts to up the vegetable content, as per another reviewer. I found it weird. Also, even though you know you're going to have leftover mascarpone, don't be tempted to add more than the recipe calls for, or you risk making it too bland. Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Pasta
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 364
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 23.2g
- Carbohydrate: 36.3g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 336mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 9 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 ounces chopped wild mushroom blend
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Combine 1/4 cup stock and flour. Add flour mixture, 3/4 cup stock, and half-and-half to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mascarpone, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- 3. Heat a skillet over medium heat; coat with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add thyme and mushrooms; cook 8 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, vinegar, and mustard; cook 30 seconds. Add pasta and chicken mixture; toss. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley.
- If you like butternut squash, try Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta: Prepare Creamy Chicken Pasta through step 2, substituting 8 ounces cavatappi pasta for orecchiette, and omitting flour and half-and-half. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine 4 cups peeled (1-inch) cubed butternut squash, 1 1/2 cups (1-inch-thick) slices shallots, 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves, and 2 (3.5-ounce) packages shiitake mushroom caps, sliced. Drizzle vegetable mixture with 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss. Transfer squash mixture to a small roasting pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add vegetable mixture to pasta mixture; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups) Calories 416; Fat 16.2g (sat 7.1g); Sodium 354mg
- If you like mascarpone, try Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad: Prepare Creamy Chicken Pasta through step 2, substituting 6 ounces farfalle for orecchiette, adding 8 cups torn Swiss chard to pasta during last 2 minutes of cooking, omitting half-and-half, and reducing flour to 1 1/2 tablespoons. Preheat the oven to 450°. Combine 3/4 cup toasted fresh breadcrumbs, 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, and 3 finely chopped drained canned anchovies. Combine 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes, 1 cup thinly sliced shallots, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Combine the pasta, tomato mixture, and chicken mixture, and cook for 1 minute. Spoon about 1 cup pasta into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Serves 6 Calories 364; Fat 15.6g (sat 6.9g); Sodium 446mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note