Even my kids ate this up. Definitely a keeper. I used chicken thighs that I cut up and sauteed, but a rotisserie would be faster. I also used low sodium broth, reduced fat cream cheese, and 2% milk cheddar.
Creamy Chicken Divan Soup
Pick up a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket deli for quick prep and lots of flavor.
Yield: Makes 12 cups
More From Southern Living
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 (48-oz.) container chicken broth
- 2 (12-oz.) packages fresh broccoli florets (about 12 cups)
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and broccoli. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Stir in cream cheese.
- 2. Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth. Add chicken and shredded cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with almonds, if desired.
- Note: If you don't have a handheld immersion blender, let mixture cool slightly; process mixture, in batches, in a regular blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Return mixture to Dutch oven, and proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews