I gave it a 4 star because it's a good dish with some changes. As others suggested I sauteed fresh onions and mushrooms in olive oil with fresh minced garlic then added 1/4 cup white wine, continue to cook then added fresh lemon juice. Still added some flour to veggies then added homemade chicken broth instead of milk and then added additional broccoli.Stayed with the regular yogurt and natural mayo. Next I added shredded parmesan and swiss instead of cheddar (fontina cheese good choice too.) Finally, I served it over jasmine rice and generously splashed with green Tabasco sauce to give it more flavor as my son would always suggest. He had to 2 servings! Maybe will add olives next time.
Mom's Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 29.1g
- Carbohydrate: 15.2g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 547mg
- Calcium: 253mg
- 1 (12-ounce) package steam-in-bag broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 12 ounces chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Prepare broccoli in microwave according to package directions.
- 3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook 12 minutes or until mushrooms brown and liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in broccoli and chicken; cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. Stir in yogurt, mayonnaise, pepper, and salt. Top evenly with cheeses; broil 2 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note