This is a good recipe that skips the carbs usually associated with a casserole, although you could easily add them back in. I changed it up a bit and it worked GREAT! I left out the mayo and instead used just fat free Greek yogurt and fat free cream cheese to thicken the sauce, with a little German mustard and fresh rosemary (chopped very fine) and it really perked up the flavors. I also combined everything and baked it in a casserole dish at 350 for about 30 minutes. Everyone liked this one, especially considering the large quantity you get for the calories. My daughter swore there was some "yummy cream of something soup" in it, but was delighted to find my swaps dropped the already low calorie count and it was rich and delicious. They all asked me to save this recipe and make it again. Next time, I'll add brown rice to it and bake it in the over longer. I think that would be great.
Mom's Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
A traditional creamy chicken casserole can have more than 800 calories per serving! Try our lightened up version that offers great flavor without all the calories.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 29.1g
- Carbohydrate: 15.2g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 547mg
- Calcium: 253mg
- 1 (12-ounce) package steam-in-bag broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 12 ounces chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Prepare broccoli in microwave according to package directions.
- 3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook 12 minutes or until mushrooms brown and liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in broccoli and chicken; cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. Stir in yogurt, mayonnaise, pepper, and salt. Top evenly with cheeses; broil 2 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note