Delicious! To save time, you can use 3 cups of rotisserie chicken from the deli instead of cooking it as called for. I also substituted cream of chix soup and used 2 stalks chopped celery instead of the onion, with tasty results.
Creamy Chicken-and-Rice Casserole
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 268
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 7mg
- Sodium: 784mg
- Calcium: 209mg
- 1 (5-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1 teaspoon salt-free herb-and-spice seasoning
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cut into small pieces
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) container nonfat sour cream
- 1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook rice mix according to package directions, omitting fat.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over chicken pieces.
- Cook chicken in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring often.
- Stir together chicken, rice, onion, and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon into an 11- x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- Note: For testing purposes, we used Mrs. Dash salt-free herb-and-spice seasoning.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles