These grits are delicious and easy to make. While there are fancier, more involved recipes for grits, this recipe is great for quick, creamy grits.
Creamy Cheese Grits
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits*
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bring 5 cups water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese and remaining ingredients until cheese is melted and mixture is blended. Serve immediately.
- *Stone-ground grits may be substituted. Increase liquid to 6 cups, and increase cook time to 50 minutes.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Quick Grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch