These grits are delicious and easy to make. While there are fancier, more involved recipes for grits, this recipe is great for quick, creamy grits.
Creamy Cheese Grits
More From Southern Living
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits*
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bring 5 cups water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese and remaining ingredients until cheese is melted and mixture is blended. Serve immediately.
- *Stone-ground grits may be substituted. Increase liquid to 6 cups, and increase cook time to 50 minutes.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Quick Grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note