Creamy Chard and Potatoes
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill Jenkins
Yield: 6 servings
- 8 to 10 small new potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 pound Swiss chard
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook new potatoes in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 20 minutes or until tender; drain and cool slightly. Cut new potatoes in half, and keep warm.
- Remove and discard ribs from chard. Rinse chard with cold water; drain and shred.
- Cook chard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and onion flakes in boiling water to cover in Dutch oven 10 minutes; drain and return to Dutch oven. Add potato, and keep warm.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables, and toss gently. Serve immediately.
- Note: To make ahead of time, spoon creamy mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Chill until ready to serve. To reheat, bake at 350º for 10 to 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note