- 1 (1 3/4-pound) celery root, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 apple (such as Gala), peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces smoked trout, flaked into pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Garnish: fresh microgreens
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large soup pot. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until potato and celery root are very tender.
Add butter, stirring until melted and blended into soup. Puree soup using an immersion blender (or a standard blender, working in batches). Stir in nutmeg. Top each serving with smoked trout and toasted hazelnuts. Garnish, if desired.