Creamy Cauliflower-Garlic Soup
NOTES: The soup may be prepared (through step 4) up to 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and chill. Reheat before serving. PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 1/4 hours
Yield: Makes 3 quarts; 10 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 85
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 7.2g
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 5.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- 1 head garlic (2 1/2 oz.), unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 heads cauliflower (about 4 1/2 lb. total)
- 2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1. With a sharp knife, cut top 1/2 inch off garlic head. Set garlic on a sheet of foil and top with butter. Draw sides of foil up and pinch together to enclose garlic in a loose, sealed pouch.
- 2. Bake in a 400° oven until garlic is soft when pressed, 45 to 50 minutes. Unwrap and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut cauliflower heads into 1-inch florets, discarding leaves and stems. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine cauliflower and broth. Cover, bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is very tender when pierced, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 4. Squeeze garlic cloves from papery skins into pan with cauliflower and broth; pour in cream. Working in batches, transfer to a blender and whirl until smooth. Return soup to pan and add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Set pan over medium-low heat and stir occasionally until hot. Pour into a large bowl or tureen and sprinkle with chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews