This was delicious!! Doesn't need all the salt!
Creamy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 173
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 25.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 415mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 3/4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped carrot (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, 3 1/2 cups water, broth, and carrot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This