Creamy Carrot, Sweet Potato, Parsnip and Ginger Soup
Community Recipe from
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter divided
- 1 cup(s) onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg freshly ground
- 1 1/2 pound(s) sweet potato cubed
- 12 ounce(s) carrots chopped or shredded
- 4 ounce(s) parsnips chopped or shredded
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger grated
- 3 1/2 cup(s) water
- 3 cup(s) fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper freshly ground
- 1/3 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh parsley chopped
- 1. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, water, broth, ginger, parsnips, and carrots; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. If you have a stick blender, blend away. If not go to step 2a.
- 2a. Place 1/2 of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture.
- Stir in cream or half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 16 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JonM42 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note