Creamy Carrot, Sweet Potato, Parsnip and Ginger Soup
Community Recipe from
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter divided
- 1 cup(s) onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg freshly ground
- 1 1/2 pound(s) sweet potato cubed
- 12 ounce(s) carrots chopped or shredded
- 4 ounce(s) parsnips chopped or shredded
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger grated
- 3 1/2 cup(s) water
- 3 cup(s) fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper freshly ground
- 1/3 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh parsley chopped
- 1. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan; add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, water, broth, ginger, parsnips, and carrots; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. If you have a stick blender, blend away. If not go to step 2a.
- 2a. Place 1/2 of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture.
- Stir in cream or half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 16 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JonM42 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes