It was okay...the rice took way longer to cook than the directions said. If I make this again I will cook rice according to the box directions so it doesn't take insanely long but, I will still use the broth. This recipe was a little too cheesy for my taste. Something is missing in this but, I'm not sure what. There will be lots of changes if I make this again.
Creamy Butternut Squash Risotto
This soul-satisfying risotto is cooked in the microwave, but no one would ever guess.
Prep: 3 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes; Other: 5 minutes
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Carbohydrate: 55.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 814mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen pureed butternut squash (such as McKenzie's)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- 1. Combine rice and oil in a 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe dish, stirring to coat. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 3 minutes.
- 2. Add broth and 1 cup water to rice mixture; microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 9 minutes. Stir well; microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 6 minutes. Remove from microwave; let stand 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- 3. While risotto stands, heat squash in microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until warm. Add squash, salt, pepper, and cheese to risotto. Stir well to combine. Garnish with additional cheese and thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note