Polenta is so dynamic, and I love this recipe. I used soy milk instead and sweetened dairy free sour cream to make it vegan. The combination of the tangy blackberry jam and smooth, creamy polenta is so good!
Creamy Breakfast Polenta
Notes: If crème fraîche is unavailable, use lightly sweetened sour cream. We like this soft polenta topped with blackberry jam, but it's equally delicious topped with another jam, fresh fruit, or butter and maple syrup.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 292
- Calories from fat: 8.2%
- Protein: 8.2g
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sodium: 262mg
- Cholesterol: 9.8mg
- 3 cups low-fat (2%) milk
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons blackberry jam (see notes)
- Lightly sweetened whipped crème fraîche (optional; see notes)
- 1. In a 2 1/2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 cups water and the milk to a boil. Reduce heat so liquid is barely boiling.Stirring constantly, pour in polenta in a thin, steady stream, pausing occasionally to break up any lumps. Stir in sugar and salt.
- 2. Simmer, stirring often, until polenta is soft and creamy to bite, 20 to 40 minutes (if heat is too high, bubbles may "spit" globs of hot polenta out of the pan).
- 3. Ladle polenta into bowls and top each serving with about 1 tablespoon blackberry jam and a dollop of crème fraîche.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note