Good enough for a special occasion but perfect for an everyday meal. I only used half the tomatoes and forgot the chick peas and it was still delicious. I think another can of tomatoes would have been too much. This soup is hearty enough to eat as a main dish or as a side dish. I added some squeezed lime to the prepared bowls. Yummy.
Creamy Black Bean Soup
More From Southern Living
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups undrained Slow-cooker Black Beans*
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 2 (4.5-oz.) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (11-oz.) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Sauté onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in Slow-cooker Black Beans and next 7 ingredients, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- 2. Process 2 cups of soup in blender or food processor 30 seconds or until smooth. Return to Dutch oven, and stir until blended. Serve with desired toppings.
- *2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note