Creamy Berry Ladyfingers
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound unsalted butter, softened and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (3-ounce) package ladyfingers, split
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Powdered sugar
- Process 1/2 cup raspberries in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating at low speed until blended; set aside.
- Cook remaining 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a heavy saucepan over low heat, without stirring, until sugar dissolves and a candy thermometer registers 248° (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add butter pieces and raspberry puree, and beat frosting mixture at medium speed 2 minutes or until creamy.
- Spoon frosting mixture into a 1-quart zip-top plastic freezer bag or piping bag. Seal freezer bag, and snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag. Pipe frosting on cut sides of ladyfingers, and top evenly with sliced strawberries. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Note: Frosting mixture may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To soften for piping or spreading consistency, place in a glass bowl; microwave at HIGH 45 seconds. Whisk and then microwave 30 more seconds. Whisk until smooth.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This