I made this for Christmas Eve dinner last year and even people who said they didn't like tomato soup LOVED this! Not sure what that says about it other than it was fantastic. I didn't change a thing.
Creamy Bell Pepper 'n' Tomato Soup
More From Southern Living
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 or 4 whole roasted red bell peppers (from jar), drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (0.75-ounce) package savory tomato pasta sauce mix
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until slightly golden. Stir in crushed tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
- Process mixture, in small batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return mixture to Dutch oven.
- Stir in half-and-half, and simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat until thoroughly heated; stir in ground red pepper. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Spice Islands Savory Tomato Pasta Sauce Blend.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews