- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 or 4 whole roasted red bell peppers (from jar), drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (0.75-ounce) package savory tomato pasta sauce mix
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until slightly golden. Stir in crushed tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
Process mixture, in small batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return mixture to Dutch oven.
Stir in half-and-half, and simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat until thoroughly heated; stir in ground red pepper. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Spice Islands Savory Tomato Pasta Sauce Blend.