- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 apple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 2 bunches arugula, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
- calories 198
- protein 5 g
- carbohydrate 29 g
- sugars 7 g
- fiber 6 g
- fat 8 g
- satfat 1 g
- sodium 425 mg
- cholesterol 2 mg
How to Make It
In a medium saucepan, combine the barley, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Drain, spread on a rimmed baking sheet or tray, and let cool.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, lemon juice, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the celery, apple, cooled barley, and mint (if using). Toss to combine.
Divide the arugula among bowls. Top with the barley salad.