Creamy Baked Sweet Onions
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 2 (10-oz.) packages cipolline or boiler onions, unpeeled*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup crushed round buttery crackers
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook onions in a large saucepan in boiling water to cover 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and peel. Place in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- 2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, hot sauce, salt, and ground white pepper, and whisk 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Pour mixture over onions in dish.
- 3. Stir together crushed crackers and 1 Tbsp. melted butter; sprinkle over top of casserole.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- *20 oz. sweet onions, peeled and cut into wedges, may be substituted. Omit boiling onions in Step 1; peel and place in baking dish as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note