Creamy Asparagus Sop
Community Recipe from
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 leeks, white and green parts chopped
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quart(s) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 pound(s) medium asparagus (approx. 2 bunches)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, leeks and potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the stock to boil over high heat. Break off the tough ends from the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus
- stalks into 1 inch pieces and add to the stock. Boil for 1 minute until lightly tender but still bright green. Remove the asparagus from the stock with a slotted spoon (you will be using the stock in a moment, so keep it hot) and transfer them to a colander. Run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Pour the boiling stock over the leek and potatoes mixture and simmer, lowering the heat if necessary, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Reserve 1 cup of the asparagus tip for garnish and add the remaining pieces to the soup. Puree in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately, garnished with the reserved asparagus tips.
- Feeling Creamy:
- Replace the olive oil with butter, choose chicken stock over vegetable, and add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream per serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by BTrip18 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes