This is my favorite 'light' white sauce. Simple, healthy and delicious. I make this recipe and I also just make the sauce, add the artichokes and asparagus to the sauce, sprinkle with a little garlic powder (or garlic salt) and top little grated parmesan cheese and serve it over fettuccine. One note, after you add the zest, you need to let it cook in the sauce a bit to get the full flavor.
Creamy Artichoke and Asparagus Lasagna
Hearty and delicious Creamy Artichoke and Asparagus Lasagna doesn't skimp on the soul-warming power we have come to expect from traditional casseroles. Lemon rind brightens the sauce, making for a more delicate lasagna.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 575mg
- Calcium: 367mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 7 ounces frozen artichokes, thawed and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces vegetarian Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 6 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add leek; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute. Stir in artichokes; remove from heat.
- 3. Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining 1 cup milk and broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer 1 minute or until thickened. Add rind and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper).
- 4. Combine cheeses in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 cup milk mixture in bottom of an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cut bottom third off each noodle to form 6 large and 6 small noodles. In a single layer, arrange 2 large and 2 small noodles over milk mixture to fit pan; top with one-third of vegetable mixture, one-third of remaining milk mixture, and one-third of cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- 5. Preheat broiler to high.
- 6. Uncover lasagna; broil on middle rack of oven for 2 minutes or until cheese is browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This