My family loves this recipe, and I make it every year to accompany our Thanksgiving dinner. It tastes crisper and fresher than traditional green bean casserole. Contrary to the recipe, I don't cook the frozen green beans. I stir the package into the warm ingredients while the beans are still frozen, which I think adds to a crisper, fresher taste.
Creamy-and-Crunchy Green Bean Casserole
More From Southern Living
Bake: 35 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen French-cut green beans, thawed
- 1 (14-ounce) can bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 2 (8-ounce) cans diced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 (2.8-ounce) cans French fried onions
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in soup, and bring to a boil. Stir in beans and next 3 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle evenly with French fried onions, and bake 10 more minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note