Really good! Used the anise seed as we had some... Also, sauteed 3 small cloves of garlic in olive oil first then added half the spinach. Repeated with second half. Didn't have any liquid. Just gave it a couple spins in the food processor, didn't want soup! I adjusted the measurements to the 10 ounces of spinach I used.
Creamed Spinach with Pernod
Notes: Buy trimmed, cleaned spinach. If you don't have anise-flavor liqueur, add 1/2 teaspoon anise seed to the boiling cream mixture instead.
Yield: Makes 2 cups; 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 141
- Calories from fat: 83%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 73mg
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- 1 pound (4 to 4 1/2 qt.) spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- About 3/4 teaspoon fresh-grated or ground nutmeg
- About 2 tablespoons Pernod or other dry anise-flavor liqueur
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir spinach until wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain, saving liquid. Purée about half the spinach in a food processor or blender.
- 2. Return reserved spinach liquid to pan and add cream, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon Pernod. Boil over high heat until mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Stir in puréed and whole spinach and additional nutmeg and Pernod to taste; stir until bubbling. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables