Loved this recipe. It was easy to make and had great flavor. I made it all in the same pan so had to split the wilting of the spinach into two batches. I thickened the sauce more than what shows in the photo (accidentally, got interrupted), but got no complaints! My son said it was a keeper, so I will be making this recipe again!
Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms
Try this fresh take of a steakhouse favorite--Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms. Don't skip the nutmeg, it brightens the flavor of this side dish.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 19 Minutes
- Calories: 102
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 8.1g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 241mg
- Calcium: 111mg
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 (10-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 1/2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; cook 6 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove mushrooms from pan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts and the mixture is smooth. Add mushrooms and spinach to milk mixture, and toss gently to coat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note