Question: Can this be made ahead, refrigerated, and JUST put under broiler to be finished? THANKS
Creamed Spinach Gratin
By topping parmesan-flavored creamed spinach with a bread crumb topping, this gratin can be made up to a day ahead and needs just a few minutes under the broiler to be hot, crunchy and ready for the table.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 240
- Calories from fat: 79%
- Protein: 7.4g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 7.4g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 342mg
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 5 packages (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1. Butter a shallow 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish. Squeeze out as much water as possible from the spinach (use your hands or a clean kitchen towel). Set aside.
- 2. Heat spinach and cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese to melt. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 3. Transfer spinach mixture to buttered baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Just before serving, place dish in the oven 5 to 6 in. below a broiler set to high; broil until top is golden and crunchy, about 3 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note