- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat or regular sour cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 packages (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- calories 92
- caloriesfromfat 40 %
- protein 5.1 g
- fat 4.1 g
- satfat 2.4 g
- carbohydrate 11 g
- fiber 2.8 g
- sodium 181 mg
- cholesterol 12 mg
How to Make It
In a large frying pan over high heat, combine onion and 1/4 cup water. Stir often until liquid evaporates and onion starts to brown. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth and stir to release browned bits in pan; boil and stir often until pan is dry.
Remove from heat and mix in flour. Gradually stir in remaining 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup sour cream, stirring until smooth. Add nutmeg and lemon zest and stir over high heat until boiling vigorously. Stir and boil about 3 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in spinach.
For creamier spinach, purée 1/4 to 1/2 the spinach mixture in a blender or food processor; stop and start motor frequently, and push mixture down into blade. Return puréed spinach to pan.
Add remaining 1/2 cup sour cream and the salt and pepper to taste.
Make ahead: Cover and chill up to 1 day. Stir creamed spinach over medium-high heat until hot.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.