More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 92
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat or regular sour cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 packages (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1. In a large frying pan over high heat, combine onion and 1/4 cup water. Stir often until liquid evaporates and onion starts to brown. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth and stir to release browned bits in pan; boil and stir often until pan is dry.
- 2. Remove from heat and mix in flour. Gradually stir in remaining 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup sour cream, stirring until smooth. Add nutmeg and lemon zest and stir over high heat until boiling vigorously. Stir and boil about 3 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in spinach.
- 3. For creamier spinach, purée 1/4 to 1/2 the spinach mixture in a blender or food processor; stop and start motor frequently, and push mixture down into blade. Return puréed spinach to pan.
- 4. Add remaining 1/2 cup sour cream and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Make ahead: Cover and chill up to 1 day. Stir creamed spinach over medium-high heat until hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note