Notes: You can prepare through step 4 up to 1 day ahead; cool, cover airtight, and chill. Uncover and bake in a 375° oven until spinach is hot in the center and bubbling at the edges, about 25 minutes. Add the cheese and bake until melted, about 5 minutes longer.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 167
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 7.9g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 8.6g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 409mg
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- 4 pounds spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 onion (12 oz.), peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shredded GruyÃ¨re or Swiss cheese
- 1. Fill a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat with spinach and turn frequently with a wide spatula; add more spinach as leaves wilt and shrink. When all the spinach is added and wilted, in 8 to 10 minutes, cook and stir leaves about 1 minute longer. Pour spinach into a colander to drain. Rinse and dry pan.
- 2. Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; stir often until limp, about 5 minutes. Add flour, nutmeg, and thyme. Stir until flour is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in broth, cream, and salt until mixture is smooth. Return to heat; stir until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring often, to blend flavors, 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, whirl spinach in a food processor or use a knife to chop coarsely.
- 4. Add chopped spinach to the cream sauce. Stir until bubbling. Pour into a shallow 3-quart casserole.
- 5. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until bubbling at edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted, about 5 minutes longer. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note