Creamed Onion Gratin
- 2 (10-ounce) packages fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs*
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Place onions in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat, and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are just tender. Drain well. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add salt and next 3 ingredients. Add 1 cup shredded cheese; stir until cheese melts. Gently stir in drained onions. Pour onion mixture into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter and thyme until crumbs are well coated. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and top is golden.
- *Pulse 3 bread slices in a mini food chopper or food processor. It should yield 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables