Creamed Kidney Beans
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 181
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Sodium: 357mg
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 or 4 fresh jalapeño chilies (1 1/2 to 2 oz. total), stemmed and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium heat, combine coriander seed, peppercorns, and cumin seed. Shake pan often until mixture is aromatic and seeds are slightly browner, about 6 minutes.
- 2. In a blender or spice grinder, whirl or grind spice mixture to a fine powder.
- 3. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, chilies, ginger, and garlic; stir often until onion is lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4. Add tomato paste and ground spices. Stir until spices are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5. Add beans, 1 cup water, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are hot and sauce coats spoon thickly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 6. Stir in half-and-half. Add salt to taste. If making up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill; to warm, stir in pan over medium heat until steaming. Pour into a bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables