This was very good, but it seemed to need more seasoning, so I added dried garlic and a couple of shots of hot pepper sauce. I toasted some blanched almonds and added them to the crumb toping giving the dish some crunch.
Creamed Cauliflower with Herbed Crumb Topping
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 214
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.9g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 612mg
- Calcium: 295mg
- 6 (1-ounce) slices sourdough bread
- 10 cup coarsely chopped cauliflower florets (about 2 heads)
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chopped leek (about 4 large)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place bread slices in a food processor, and process until fine crumbs measure 3 cups. Set aside.
- Cook cauliflower in boiling water 15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek and 3 garlic cloves; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and milk, stirring with a whisk; add to pan. Bring to a simmer; cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, cheese, and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in cauliflower. Spoon cauliflower mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Melt remaining 1 teaspoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 3 garlic cloves; cook 30 seconds or until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Combine breadcrumbs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and thyme. Drizzle with garlic-butter mixture; toss to combine. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over cauliflower mixture. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables