Creamed Cabbage Casserole
This casserole is a hearty side dish, thanks to the buttery, crisp topping and the velvety cheese sauce that surrounds the cabbage.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 8 Minutes
- Calories: 122
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 16.1g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 257mg
- Calcium: 224mg
- 8 cups (1-inch) diced green cabbage (about 2 heads)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup (1.3 ounces) shredded GruyÃ¨re cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup crushed reduced-fat round buttery crackers (about 11; such as Ritz)
- 1. Place cabbage in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover with water (about 8 cups). Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 8 1/2 minutes or until cabbage is tender; drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and milks in a small saucepan. Stir with a whisk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with whisk. Remove from heat. Add 1 minced garlic clove, salt, pepper, and cheese to pan, and stir until cheese melts. Pour milk mixture over cabbage, tossing gently to coat. Pour cabbage mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Place butter and remaining minced garlic clove in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 25 seconds or until butter melts; stir in crackers. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over cabbage mixture.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until edges are golden and top is set. Let stand 8 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note