Cream Puffs with Ice Cream and Caramel
Eggs are a critical leavening agent for cream puffs, making the batter rise and expand. Piercing the cooked puffs allows steam to escape so the texture is almost hollow. A stand mixer is crucial; the batter is too thick to beat with a hand mixer. Freeze completely cooled cream puffs for up to one month. Cream puffs are also good with savory fillings, such as chicken or shrimp salad.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 229
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 34.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 213mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 1 cup bread flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel sundae syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cover a large, heavy baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup water, butter, and salt in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add flour, stirring well until mixture is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan. Cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Place dough in bowl of a stand mixer. Add egg whites and eggs, 1 at a time, beating at medium speed with a paddle attachment until well combined. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Scoop the dough by 1/4 cupfuls into 8 mounds 2 inches apart onto prepared pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pan from oven); bake an additional 30 minutes. Turn oven off. Pierce top of each cream puff with a knife; return pan to oven. Cool cream puffs in closed oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Split cream puffs in half horizontally. Fill each puff with 1/4 cup ice cream and 1 tablespoon syrup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This