Cream Puff Gateau
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 463
- Calories from fat: 74%
- Protein: 7.2g
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated fat: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 270mg
- Cholesterol: 228mg
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces, plus more for buttering pans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (see Notes)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry preserves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Butter 3 large baking sheets and set aside.
- 2. In a medium pan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup water; bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and immediately add flour, sugar, and salt all at once. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball that pulls away from sides of pan, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 3. Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next. The mixture will appear to separate at first; keep stirring until dough comes together into a smooth paste.
- 4. Divide dough evenly among the 3 prepared baking sheets. Using a spatula, spread dough into 8-in. circles.
- 5. Bake pastry layers 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake until browned, 10 to 15 minutes. (Pastry may be baked in batches.) Transfer layers to cooling racks and set aside. Meanwhile, spread coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350° until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- 6. In a large bowl, beat cream to soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- 7. Spread each pastry layer with 1 tbsp. preserves, then top each with 1/3 of the whipped cream and 1/3 of the coconut. Stack the circles and slice with a serrated knife.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts