I have made these since I was a teenager. Everyone thinks you work so hard to make them, they are sooo easy! I like to make them small (about the size of a golf ball) and fill them with chocolate mouse, stack them in a tower and drizzle with chocolate. very impressive!
Cream Puff Dough (Pâte à Choux)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 157
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 9.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 119mg
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional; for dessert puffs only)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, combine 1 cup water, butter, and the sugar if using; bring to a boil over high heat. Add flour all at once and stir quickly until mixture pulls away from pan sides and masses together. Remove from heat and stir until flour is incorporated and mixture is smooth. Let cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. To mix by hand, add eggs, one at a time, to warm butter-flour mixture in pan, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until dough is smooth and satiny.
- To mix with an electric mixer or food processor, scrape warm butter-flour mixture into a bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating or whirling after each addition just until smooth; do not overmix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note