- 1 turkey carcass
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 large carrots, scraped and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup whipping cream
How to Make It
Place turkey carcass in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove carcass from broth, reserving 10 cups broth. Cool carcass, and pick meat from bones. Set meat aside.
Melt butter in stockpot over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. (Roux will be a blond color.) Add onion, shallots, carrot, and celery to roux; reduce heat to medium. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in reserved broth, turkey meat, rice, salt, pepper, and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add whipping cream; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or to desired thickness.