Cream of Squash and Leek Soup
More From Southern Living
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 2 small leeks
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- Toppings: shredded Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh chives or parsley
- Discard roots and green tops of leeks. Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse well, and chop.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; add leeks, and sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in squash and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes.
- Process squash mixture, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return mixture to Dutch oven; stir in whipping cream and milk, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews