- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
How to Make It
Sauté shrimp in butter and garlic powder in a large Dutch oven 5 minutes; remove shrimp with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Reserve pan drippings.
Add flour to pan drippings; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add whipping cream, broth, and bay leaf; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper, and chives. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Ladle soup into individual serving bowls; serve warm.