- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 pound cooked corned beef, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) can chopped sauerkraut, drained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Rye bread cubes, toasted
How to Make It
Combine first 10 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Combine cornstarch and water, stirring until smooth; stir mixture into soup. Bring to a boil; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Add shredded cheese and whipping cream, stirring until cheese melts. Top each serving with toasted rye bread cubes.