Love this recipe - change it up a bit to make a shrimp bisque. I add a little Worchestershire, Tiger Sauce, and chopped shrimp. Refrigerate 8 hours, reheat and serve with a dollop of sour cream, croutons & shredded parmesan!
Cream of Pimiento Soup
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
Yield: 3 3/4 cups
More From Southern Living
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimiento, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Place pimiento in container of an electric blender, and process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Set pimiento aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, and stir until flour mixture is smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and half-and-half gradually to flour mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until broth mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in pimiento, onion, salt, and hot sauce; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
- Note: You can easily double the recipe to serve 8.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note