Cream Of Leek Soup
Photo: Charles Walton
Yield: Makes 5 quarts
More From Southern Living
- 4 leeks
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Garnishes: fresh chives, cracked black pepper
- Remove and discard green tops from leeks. Cut white portion of leeks into thin slices.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add leeks and onion, and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato, broth, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Process, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; stir in milk and half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note