Cream Of Cilantro Soup With Black Bean Salsa
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Black Bean Salsa
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat; add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, onion, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour, and cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 minutes or until mixture is golden brown.
- Add chicken broth, stirring rapidly until blended; add bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in pepper and whipping cream; cook 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding vegetables.
- Add shredded Monterey Jack cheese and remaining 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
- Pour soup into individual serving bowls. Spoon Black Bean Salsa in center of each bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note