Found it to be kind of bland. Don't know if I'll try it again or not.
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 8.9g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 748mg
- Calcium: 163mg
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) sliced asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Combine asparagus, broth, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, bay leaf, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Place asparagus mixture in a blender; process until smooth.
- Place flour in pan. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add puréed asparagus and ground nutmeg; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon thyme, butter, salt, and lemon rind.
- Cream of Carrot Soup: Substitute 2 cups baby carrots for asparagus. Omit bay leaf. Yield 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup).
- CALORIES 112 (28% from fat); FAT 3.5g (sat 2g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 6.7g; CARB 13.4g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 0.6mg; SODIUM 765mg; CALC 152mg
- Cream of Leek Soup: Substitute 3 cups sliced leek for asparagus. Substitute 3/4 teaspoon rosemary for thyme. Omit bay leaf.
- CALORIES 131 (23% from fat); FAT 3.4g (sat 2g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 7.3g; CARB 18.3g; FIBER 1.3g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 1.5mg; SODIUM 759mg; CALC 178mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews