Serve with vegetables, pasta, or chicken. If you have drippings from fried chicken or other meat, you can substitute those for the butter.
Yield: Makes 3/4 cup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (1/4-inch-thick) onion slice
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil, and remove from heat. Pour milk mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a small bowl, reserving the hot milk and discarding solids.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in reserved hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat, until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in whipping cream and remaining ingredients.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments