- 1 cup milk
- 1 (1/4-inch-thick) onion slice
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
How to Make It
Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil, and remove from heat. Pour milk mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a small bowl, reserving the hot milk and discarding solids.
Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in reserved hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat, until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in whipping cream and remaining ingredients.