I've been making these mashed potatoes for years. The only change I make is to use onion powder and garlic powder to taste, then after they are ready, will sometimes place in a casserole dish, cover top with shredded colby or cheddar cheese, then bake until melted. Sprinkle top with paprika. I get rave reviews every time!
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Photo: J. Savage Gibson; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 5 pounds baking potatoes
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- Garnish: paprika or chopped fresh parsley
- Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Cook in a medium saucepan in boiling water to cover 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add cream cheese and next 4 ingredients; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy (do not overbeat). Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch or 3-quart baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 325° for 50 minutes or until thoroughly heated; garnish, if desired.
- Note: Unbaked mashed potatoes may be chilled up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, and bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables