Based on one of the reviews, and the fact that I do not care for ice cream with a strong cream cheese flavor, I used only 4 oz. of cream cheese. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I made a blackberry compote for a complementary topping. It requires some planning ahead, but it is so worth the wait! Delicious!
Cream Cheese Ice Cream
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 9 Hours, 25 Minutes
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat, and whisk in cream cheese and vanilla bean paste until cheese is melted. Cool completely (about 1 hour), stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap directly on mixture (to prevent a film from forming), and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 2. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.) Transfer ice cream to an airtight container. Freeze 4 hours before serving.
Total time does not include freezing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note