Cream Cheese Braids
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream Cheese Filling
- Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Heat first 4 ingredients in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, until butter melts. Cool to 105° to 115°.
- Combine yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream mixture and eggs; gradually stir in flour (dough will be soft). Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Divide dough into fourths. Turn out each portion onto a heavily floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times.
- Roll each portion into a 12- x 8-inch rectangle, and spread each rectangle with one-fourth of Cream Cheese Filling, leaving a 1-inch border around edges. Carefully roll up, starting at a long side; press seam, and fold ends under to seal. Place, seam side down, on lightly greased baking sheets. Cut 6 equally spaced Xs across top of each loaf; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Drizzle warm loaves with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads